Want to enjoy at shrine or temple in Kamakura? Kamakura is less than an hour away from Tokyo. Kamakura was once the center of political government in the country during the Kamakura Shogunate. The majority of the population moved to Tokyo and only left around 7,000 people in the city after the fall of the Kamakura Shogunate. It wasn’t long before Kamakura turned from an important political city to a small fishing village. Nevertheless, the temples, shrines and other historical monuments that once flourished during its golden era still remains in Kamakura. It is now a very popular tourist destination. Take a peek and see these amazing temples and shrines in the beautiful city of Kamakura. I am going to discuss top 5 shrine and temple in Kamakura where you can visit.
Top 5 Shrine and Temple in Kamakura
Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
- Tsurugaoka Hachimangu is considered as the most important Shinto shrine in Kamakura.
- And it is dedicated to the patron god Hachiman.
- Astonishingly, in the past, it also served as a Tendai Buddhist Temple.
- It is not known to many people.
- The shrine also houses the sacred spirit of Emperor Ojin along with his wife Hime-gami and her mother Empress Jingu.
- Hachimangu Shrine can get very crowded especially during festivals.
- It makes the place livelier.
- Address: 2-1-31 Yukinoshita, Kamakura 248-0005, Kanagawa
- Website: http://www.tsurugaoka-hachimangu.jp/
- Hasedera Temple is usually called Hase-Kannon.
- It houses the famous eleven headed statues of the goddess Kannon.
- The statue of Kannon has a height of 9.18 meters.
- And it made up of camphor wood, gilded in gold.
- Hasedera Temple is located halfway up on Mount Kamakura.
- It gives an impressive view of the city of Yuigahama.
- Hasedera Temple is also famous for its seasonal flowers, especially the hydrangea in June.
- Address: 3-11-2 Hase, Kamakura 248-0016, Kanagawa
- Website: http://www.hasedera.jp/en/
Kotokuin Temple/Great Buddha (Daibutsu)
- Hey guys, have you heard about the famous Giant Buddha of Kamakura?
- If the answer is ‘not’, then it would be best to add Kotokuin Temple in your itinerary.
- It is the second tallest bronze Buddha statue in Japan with a height of 13.35 meters and weighs 121 tons.
- If you like, you can even enter and look inside the statue!
- You can’t afford to miss go to Kotokuin Temple when you visit Kamakura.
- Address: 4-2-28 Hase, Kamakura 248-0016, Kanagawa
- Website: http://www.kotoku-in.jp/en/
ZeniaraiBenten UgafukuShrine said that Yoritomo Minamoto prayed for the relief of Kamakura Bureu and worshiped Ugafukujin Benzaiten here by the guidance of Reimu at night It is done. The faith that long life and happiness will carry lucky is transmitted when washing the coins in the spirit that emerges from the rock in the precincts, and many worshipers come now. #zeniaraibenten #ugafukujinjya #ugafukushrine #ugafukuzaibenten #kamakura #銭洗弁財天 #宇賀福神社 #鎌倉 #源頼朝 #宇賀福神弁財天
- Zeniarai Benten is an exclusive temple.
- It is found on the western part of Kamakura.
- The founder of the Kamakura Government, Minamoto Yoritomo had a dream on which a god told him to build a temple with the purpose of bringing peace to the country.
- And interestingly, the locals believe that if you “wash” your money on the temple’s spring, your money will be doubled.
- Address: 2-25-16 Sasuke, Kamakura 248-0017, Kanagawa
- Website: http://www.city.kamakura.kanagawa.jp/kamakura-kankou/en/tourist/attractions/zeniarai.html
- Meigetsuin is the famous Hydrangea Temple of Kamakura.
- It was founded in 1160.
- In contrast to popular belief, the Hydrangea flowers are only a recent addition to the temple.
- Because the location is suitable for the flowers to grow.
- When summer arrives, the flowers are in full bloom and a steady stream of companions frequent the temple just to see the beautiful flowers of Meigetsuin.
- The circular window looks like a moon.
- And it is especially beautiful in autumn, when the leaves changes its color.
- Address: 189 Yamanouchi, Kamakura 247-0062, Kanagawa
- Website: http://www.city.kamakura.kanagawa.jp/kamakura-kankou/en/tourist/attractions/meigetsuin.html
Shrine is a spiritual place. You may feel divine in your core heart by visiting this place. Come and visit at shrine in Kamakura which I have already described. These heavenly places calling you. If you love to travel you must try these places and enjoy your tour. And I know you will be thankful to me because of suggesting these places. Happy journey, guys!! Have a good day!!