Would you like to travel at Karuizawa? But know enough information? Don’t worry guys! I am here for provide you essential information about Karuizawa. A popular summer retreat, Karuizawa has a lot to offer to people visiting to beat the heat. In this article, I am going to focus on Karuizawa!
- Karuizawa is a town in the Kitasaku district.
- It is located in the eastern part of Nagano Prefecture.
- It is known as an escape from summer’s sweltering temperatures with its cool climate.
- In 1886, the Canadian missionary Alexander Croft Shaw visited the area to get away from the heat.
- After that, Karuizawa became a resort haven for overseas visitors.
- In sequence, after the period of economic prosperity following the First World War, Japanese people also came to use Karuizawa as a vacation spot.
- Gorgeous villas and shops targeted at summer tourists sprung up one by one.
- Karuizawa established itself as an international resort destination.
- In the present day, places like the Karuizawa Kogen Church, the Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza outlet mall and the Karuizawa Museum of Modern Art have given a boost to the area’s profile.
- We definitely endorse that you visit this Japanese resort, if you visit eastern Japan.
The Weather in Karuizawa
- The Karuizawa area is situated in cold highlands.
- Because Karuizawa’s climate is relatively less humid than other terrain at high elevations.
- It is normally cool in the summer and quite cold in the winter.
- Evenings can get chilly, even in the summertime, so you should have a shawl or light coat at the ready.
- Protection against the cold is a must in the winter.
- You will certainly need a down jacket, gloves and some headwear.
- It would be wise to prepare some spiked boots to deal with the snow, when going up into the mountains.
- Snow glare can also cause UV damage to the eyes.
- So, don’t forget to wear sunglasses.
- If you’re visiting in winter, have fun, but be sure to take precautions against the low temperatures and the snow.
How to get access to Karuizawa
Well, now I would like to explain how to get to Karuizawa from Tokyo and Osaka.
- You can take either the shinkansen or a highway bus to Karuizawa.
- Taking the shinkansen will be 1000 to 2000 yen more expensive.
- But the train will arrive an hour or two hours earlier than the bus, a point in its favor.
- By Shinkansen
– Take the Hokuriku Shinkansen from Tokyo or Shinagawa Station and get off at Karuizawa Station.
– Travel time and fare will vary by Shinkansen type.
– But you can expect to arrive in 65 to 80 minutes.
– Tokyo – Karuizawa
Fare: 5390 yen
Fare: 5710 yen
- By Bus
– There are buses to Naka Karuizawa Station from Ikebukuro, Tatekawa, Yokohama and Haneda Airport.
– Fare: 2500 yen one-way. 4500-yen roundtrip
– Travel time: Three hours
– Yokohama/Haneda Airport – Karuizawa
– Fare: 3200 yen one-way, 6400-yen roundtrip
– Travel time: Four hours
- By Shinkansen
– When traveling from Shin-Osaka Station, you will need to transfer at Tokyo Station to get to Karuizawa Station.
– Shin-Osaka – Karuizawa
Fare: 17,820 yen
Travel time: Four hours
- By Bus
– There is a direct bus which runs through Kintetsu Osaka Abenobashi Station, the Namba OCAT building and the Higashi-Umeda subway station en route to Naka Karuizawa Station and Karuizawa Station.
– Osaka – Karuizawa
Fare: 9500 yen one-way, 17,100 yen (round trip)
Travel time: 11 and a half hours
– If you want to minimize travel time, you should take the shinkansen.
Getting Around Karuizawa
– You can get around Karuizawa via bus or taxi; you can also rent a bicycle or car.
– There are bus routes from Karuizawa Station which stop at Kyu Karuizawa, Naka Karuizawa Station, and Minami Karuizawa (an east loop and a south loop).
– Another route goes from Shinano-Oiwake Station to west Sengataki and Naka Karuizawa Station (a north loop).
– Still, these buses are very infrequent, only running five or six times a day.
– If your budget allows for it, we recommend renting a car to go sightseeing around Karuizawa.
– While you could also rent a bicycle, you should be aware of the conditions.
– Karuizawa has steep slopes in many places and can be extremely cold in winter.
So, guys, try to enjoy at beautiful Karuizawa as I have told you above. You will be amazed trying the beautiful Karuizawa. And I think you cannot ignore these amazing exploring Japan in a different way, guys. Your day is going to be excellent. Are not you feeling excited? If you want to explore Japan, you must try to enjoy Karuizawa. And I know you will be grateful to me because of suggesting this information. Happy journey, guys!! Have a good day!! And stay safe, guys!!